SHAUN STANLEY/Durango Herald
An apartment fire on Main Avenue closed two city blocks Monday afternoon while firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze.
The fire was reported at 4 p.m. on the second floor of the Durango Office Suites, 1099 Main Ave.
A space heater was placed on top of a stove, and the stove burner was accidently turned on, said Karola Hanks, fire marshal with the Durango Fire & Rescue Authority.
The fire was extinguished by 4:30 p.m., but Main Avenue remained closed between 9th and 11th streets while firefighters worked to clear smoke from the building.
“Closing Main is so we have room to work and the firefighters don’t have to worry about traffic,” said Dave Imming, a spokesman for the fire authority.
The fire started in a small apartment near the back of the Durango Office Suites under a porch that is part of the Crossroads building.
The Crossroads building was evacuated as a precaution.
The fire was contained to the stove, but smoke spread through several adjacent buildings, including the Crossroads building, Hanks said.
Main Avenue began to reopen to traffic about 5:20 p.m.