Log In

Reset Password
News Education Local News Nation & World New Mexico

Bayfield girl loses battle to Hodgkin's Disease

Aria Crane remembered as 'little fighter'
Aria Crane died of complications suffered while battling Hodgkin's Disease.

Aria Crane, a Bayfield girl who had been fighting Hodgkin's Disease since 2012, died Monday night in Denver at the age of 12.

"Aria lost her battle tonight," her mother wrote on the website Caring Bridge. "She fought harder than ever. You would have all been proud of our little figher!!! She ended up getting a virus and it got the best of her. Thanks for everything!"

Aria was the daughter of Brian and Wendy Crane of Bayfield. She is survived by a sister, Trinity, brother Trace, grandparents and great-granparents, and numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.

After her initial diagnosis, Aria underwent chemotherapy for six months in 2012 and seemed to have beaten cancer, but it returned in 2014.

A huge outpouring of community support came from her hometown of Bayfield, as well as school employees and students in Ignacio, where her dad is the technology director for the Ignacio School District.

A celebration of life will be held at 9 a.m. tomorrow outside at Bayfield Middle School. Attendees can bring a lawn chair or blanket, and they're welcome to leave the service to go next door to watch Aria's cousin play in the Bayfield baseball team state playoff game at 10 a.m.

"We hope it's going to be short and sweet so we can start a new chapter in our book," Wendy Crane said Thursday in a telephone interview. Being back home in Bayfield is somewhat of a relief, but also has been hard, she admitted. "I walked in the house, and she's just everywhere."

Aria spent her time in Denver with her mother at Children's Hospital and lived at Brent's Place, a home for pediatric cancer patients and their families. Her father, siblings and other family members visited frequently. Sunday's post by Wendy Crane on Caring Bridge described a normal day. They had a visit from a family friend with a pet goat. On Sunday night, she woke up and had difficulty breathing and was taken to the emergency room. She died the next evening.