Weiner says he won’t leave NYC mayoral race
NEW YORK – Anthony Weiner says he’s not dropping out of the New York City mayoral race in light of newly revealed explicit online correspondence with a young woman.
And his wife, Huma Abedin, is standing by him.
Weiner admitted on Tuesday to exchanging racy photos and having X-rated chats with a woman he met online. He had resigned his House seat in June 2011 after acknowledging having sexual conversations with at least a half-dozen women.
The newly revealed correspondence was posted Monday by the gossip website The Dirty. The woman involved was not identified. She says their online relationship began in July 2012 and lasted for six months.
Abedin says Weiner “made some horrible mistakes,” but that she has forgiven him and believes in him.
Homeland Security official probed
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama’s choice to be the No. 2 official at the Homeland Security Department is under investigation for his role in helping a company run by a brother of former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, The Associated Press has learned.
Alejandro Mayorkas, director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, is being investigated in connections with efforts to secure an international investor visa for a Chinese executive, according to congressional officials briefed on the investigation. The officials spoke only on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release details of the probe.
Mayorkas was named by Homeland Security’s Inspector General’s Office as a target in the investigation involving the foreign investor program run by USCIS, according to an email sent to lawmakers late Monday. The IG’s office said, “At this point in our investigation, we do not have any findings of criminal misconduct.” The email did not specify any criminal allegations it might be investigating.
White House press secretary Jay Carney referred questions to the inspector general’s office, which said that the probe is in its preliminary stage and that the office doesn’t comment on the specifics of investigations.
Officer disciplined for releasing photos
FRAMINGHAM, Mass. – A state police photographer who released photos of the bloodied Boston Marathon bombing suspect during his capture was placed on restricted duty Tuesday.
Sgt. Sean Murphy said he leaked the photos of what he called “the face of terror” to Boston magazine last week to counter a glamorized image of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.
Three of Murphy’s 14 photos show a battered and blood-streaked Tsarnaev emerging from a boat in a backyard, the red dot of a sniper’s laser sight trained on his head.
Murphy wasn’t authorized to release the photos. He already served a one-day, unpaid suspension and has received another five-day unpaid suspension. After a status hearing at state police headquarters Tuesday, Murphy was placed on desk duty, where he won’t have contact with the public, until an internal investigation is complete.
Col. Timothy Alben, the commander of the state police, said more discipline is conceivable, but he ruled out the possibility that Murphy would be fired.
Associated Press