Log In


Reset Password
Southwest Life Health And the West is History Community Travel

And the West is History: Corner of Main and Seventh – 1895

This is a well-known picture of downtown taken 15 years after Durango’s founding. The open lot was a public corral and also served as a campsite for visiting Native Americans. On the far hill, two signs near Greenmount Cemetery advertise Jackson Hardware, which is the building facing west on the far right of the picture, and W.G. White’s Grocery, located a block farther north on the west side of the street. – Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, edhorvat@animasmuseum (Catalog Number: 94.26.83 from the La Plata County Historical Society Photo Collections)