Log In


Reset Password
Southwest Life Health And the West is History Community Travel

And the West is History: Durango Fire Department scene – 1931

The Durango Fire Department displays some of its firefighting equipment in this picture from 1931. This station was located on 10th Street between Main Avenue and East Second Avenue. The parking lot for the current Durango City Hall is now located at this site. Note the training tower to the left where firefighters Cyril Conway and Louis Smith are pictured practicing their ladder rescue skills. Standing in front of the fire officer’s white car is Chief Henry Dietrich with fireman John Hildebrand and driver Tom McCormick to his left. – Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, edhorvat@animasmuseum.org (Courtesy of La Plata County Historical Society)