OK, young thespians – Opera Colorado will hold auditions for “The Shining” on Oct. 2 to cast featured roles for children in its winter 2022 production of Moravec and Campbell’s “The Shining,” based on the novel by Stephen King.
Auditions will be held in the Studio Loft of the Ellie Caulkins Opera House of the Denver Performing Arts Complex in downtown Denver.
According to a news release, all children must be age 12 or older and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
And, according to the release, this is what the production is looking for:
- Seeking two girls ages 12 or older who can pass for ages 12-14.
- Children should come prepared to sing 16 to 32 bars of age-appropriate musical theater or opera repertoire.
- Stage Director David Toro will run a theater game or two as an acting exercise.
- Seeking two children ages 12 or older who look 12 or younger. One will be cast as the primary Danny and one as the cover Danny, however, both do appear onstage at each performance.
- Acting ability is central to this role, which is primarily a speaking part.
- Actors should come prepared to sing a short musical excerpt (examples: “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star,” “Happy Birthday,” etc.) to show you can carry a tune.
- Toro will read through a scene from the opera as an acting exercise.
Auditions will be videotaped for later review by artistic staff members for casting purposes.
Early staging rehearsals will take place between Jan. 31 and Feb. 16, 2022, at the Opera Colorado Opera Center in Englewood.
Technical rehearsals, dress rehearsals and all performances will take place on varying dates from Feb. 18 to March 6 at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House at the Denver Performing Arts Complex in downtown Denver.
Children selected for roles will receive a stipend. In addition, each child will receive:
- Two tickets to “The Shining” final dress rehearsal on Feb. 24.
- Parking passes for the Denver Performing Arts Complex garage/Colorado Convention Center garage for all days they are called to rehearse or perform at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House.
- To comply with current protocols for health and safety at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House and those in place for Opera Colorado, everyone attending or participating in auditions at the Studio Loft on October 2 should be prepared to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Opera Colorado will not record or document proof of vaccination status, nor will it share vaccination status information with any other entity.
To request an audition time for Oct. 2 and receive further instructions about how to access the Ellie Caulkins Opera House Studio Loft, email firstname.lastname@example.org with “SHINING Child Auditions” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls.
Auditions times will be filled on a first-come basis.