This holiday season, spread a little joy and engage with your local Durango community. Go on a holiday shopping spree, shop local and enjoy a variety of festivities. One can work up quite the appetite shopping all over town, so take family and friends out to enjoy your favorite Durango restaurant, or maybe mix and mingle at one of the events.
One of the greatest gifts is living in Durango, so let’s celebrate and give back to our fellow Durangoans!
As the holidays approach, here are a few events that you should put on your wish list:
- Volunteer with Adaptive Sports Association.
- Toy Drive, through Dec. 17, Durango Chamber of Commerce and La Plata County Boys & Girls Club.
- Holiday Rewards Program, through Dec. 19, Business Improvement District.
- Christmas at the Pumpkin Patch, Thurs - Sun | 5 to 8 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays, Jack-a-lope Acres, 7195 County Road 318, Ignacio.
- Winter Artists Market, 2 p.m. Dec. 18, Union Social House, 3062 Main Ave.
- Veterans Benefit Breakfast, 9 to 11 a.m. Dec. 19, VFW Post 4031, 1550 Main Ave.
- Smiley Holiday Bazaar, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday (Dec. 11), Smiley Building, 1309 East Third Ave.
- Bar D Wranglers Christmas Jubilee, 7:30 p.m. Dec. 17, Community Concert Hall at Fort Lewis College, 1000 Rim Drive.
- Drag Show & Ugly Sweater Contest, 7 to 9 p.m. Dec. 18, Taco Boy, 150 Confluence Ave., No. 101c.
- 7 Rivers Farmers Market, 12 to 3 p.m. Tuesdays, La Plata County Fairgrounds, 2500 Main Ave.
Even in the most turbulent of times, holiday traditions have the ability to bring people together and reaffirm the special bonds we have with loved ones. As you dust off your snow boots and take your winter coat out of storage, reminisce about your favorite holidays past and that warm festive feeling. This season, enjoy those holiday traditions and maybe create some new ones (you have quite the list to choose from).
Lastly, take care of each other and lend a helping hand to those in need – it’s the Durango way.
Debra Chee is administrative assistant at Visit Durango.