Log In

Reset Password
News Local News Nation & World New Mexico Education

Man stabs himself in neck while in Animas River

26-year-old in critical but stable condition at St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood

A 26-year-old man was taken into protective custody early Sunday morning after stabbing himself in the neck with a pocket knife while he was in the middle of the Animas River between the Purple Cliffs campsite and Walmart.


Help for people having suicidal thoughts or for those who fear a person is considering taking their own life:

Axis Care Hotline: 24/7 local response to your crisis & behavioral health needs: (970) 247-5245.

NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE: (800) 273-TALK (8255) or text “TALK” to 741741.



BOYS TOWN HOTLINE: (800) 448-3000.

SAFE2TELL COLORADO: (877) 542-7233 or safe2tell.org.

COLORADO CRISIS SUPPORT LINE: (844) 493-8255 or text “TALK” to 38255 or online at coloradocrisisservices.org to access a live chat available in 17 languages. The line has mental-health professionals available to talk to adults or youths 24 hours a day.

AMERICAN FOUNDATION FOR SUICIDE PREVENTION: Colorado chapter information available at afsp.org/chapter/afsp-colorado/.

FOR MEN: A website for adult men contemplating suicide is available at mantherapy.org.

Between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m., the man had stabbed himself in the neck several times, and another man was attempting to help him when law-enforcement officers arrived, said Durango Police Department Sgt. Devin Conroy.

The Durango Police Department and La Plata County Sheriff’s Office responded.

Conroy said the knife used by the man was a short-bladed pocket knife.

La Plata County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Wes Doughty said he ”was screaming something about never being taken alive” when officers arrived.

Doughty said he believed the man was a resident of the Purple Cliffs campsite, for people who are experiencing homelessness .

Because of mental health concerns, the man was taken into protective custody and taken to Mercy Regional Medical Center for medical treatment, Doughty said

The wounds did not appear to be life-threatening, Doughty said.

Lindsay Radford, spokeswoman for Mercy Regional Medical Center, said the man was treated at Mercy and transferred to St. Anthony Hospital, a Level 1 trauma center in Lakewood, where he was in critical but stable condition.