Mercy Hospital reopened its doors in the 5 o‘clock hour after receiving a “credible bomb threat” earlier Saturday afternoon, sending the health center into lockdown and prompting police officers to stage outside.
The hospital had previously received a bomb threat from an anonymous caller that was considered credible and Durango Police Department was contacted in response.
Lindsay Radford, Mercy Hospital public information officer, said the general hospital doors were closed after the hospital received a credible bomb threat in the 3 p.m. hour that prompted the hospital to contact DPD. Around 5:45 p.m., she confirmed the hospital had reopened.
Only essential patients and employees were allowed into the building during the lockdown in accordance with security procedures, she said.
Durango Police Department determined the threat was a “hoax,” according to Tom Sluis, city spokesman.
“There are calls similar to this taking place in other parts of the state,” he said. “Law enforcement agencies are still taking adequate precautions and conducting all necessary investigations while the hospital is in lockdown.”
cburney@durangoherald.com


