The holiday buzz is getting louder and the best tonic for the end of year blues is laughter. Loud, rollicking, doubled-over, split-your-pants belly laughter. Friday night is your night to unwind. Bring a friend who needs to laugh as much as you do and come to the Durango Arts Center theater for live Comedy Improv on stage with world renowned Cindy Laudadio-Hill, Mary Quinn and their friends Jeff Graves, Geoff Johnson and Tess Wisher, who will have you laughing your cares away in no time.
Comedy Improv is a great way to cap off Noel Night. Come early to shop for locally made presents at the DAC’s Gift Gallery then stroll your peppermint cocoa down the hall to the theater and grab your seats. The show starts at 7 p.m.
At 2 p.m. Sunday, you’re invited to enjoy silent films from another era with Adam Swanson on the piano. The glamour of the golden age, women in flapper dresses, jazz music, the strange humor, even the dark horror of some of the silent film stories were made real by the outstanding effort of early filmmakers and actors whose art form transcends language, time and place. Swanson will play the DAC’s grand piano under the spotlight like his fingers are on fire while the silent films whir and tick tick tick their way through romance, action and adventure on the big screen. Enjoy some popcorn and come witness the Holiday Silent Swanson Sunday. Dressing up is optional. See you there.
If you or a friend would benefit from engaging with the DAC or learning more about all the classes and events coming up, please call me to set a coffee date.
Coming up next at the Durango Arts Center:
- Cindy, Mary & Friends Present a Night of Improv: 7 p.m. today (Dec. 2). $10/$15.
- Silent Swanson Sunday, silent films with Adam Swanson on piano: 2 p.m. Sunday. $15.
- Auditions for “Reefer Madness”: 4-6 pm. Sunday. Location: FLC Gallery Theater, 1000 Rim Drive.
- “We Will Rock You,” the Durango Youth Theater presents a musical featuring hit songs and singalongs by the legendary rock band Queen: Dec. 9-18, various showtimes. $15.
- Kid’s Snowdown Follies Auditions: 4-6 p.m. Dec. 14 and 15. See website for details.
- Noel Night: today (Dec. 2), Barbara Conrad Gallery.
- Pots & Pints Ceramic Hand Building Happy Hour: 4:30-6 p.m. every Friday. $30.
- Clay to Canvas, art classes for those with Parkinson’s: 1-3 p.m. Tuesdays (ongoing). $10.
January classes are up for registration and begin on Jan. 10.
Need a clever idea for your upcoming office party or celebration? Avoid the awkward chit-chat and make it meaningful by bringing your crew to an art class or buying a bundle of tickets for a show. E-Gift certificates available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donate, become a member for discounts and to be a patron of the arts, register for classes, buy tickets and keep in touch at DurangoArts.org.
Brenda Macon has been executive director of Durango Arts Center since 2018. Her background includes executive leadership training, business and art instruction. She celebrates the inspiration, joy and meaningful engagement that the arts bring to our town.