Log In


Reset Password
Southwest Life Health And the West is History Community Travel

And the West is History: Edgemont Ranch – 1915

Established about 10 years before this photo was taken, the Edgemont Ranch has long been familiar to the agricultural community of La Plata County. Owned by C.C. Perkins until his death in 1934, the ranch changed hands at least four times before 1980. Around 1981, the 1,400-acre ranch was sold for just over $5 million to a development company based in La Habra, California. The company’s development plan was approved by the county in 1982. By the next year, the large Edgemont housing development that we know today was started. The house pictured here was built in 1909 and still exists. It is on the list of 100 Historical Sites identified by La Plata County. It is located just east of Florida Road (CR 240) on County Road 234. – Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, edhorvat@animasmuseum (Courtesy of La Plata County Historical Society)