Log In


Reset Password
Southwest Life Health And the West is History Community Travel

And the West is History: Velma’s Supper Club/ Sundowner – 1993

This building at 3777 Main Ave. was originally owned by Angelo Dallabetta and called the Million Dollar Highway Club. The business was sold in 1955 to the Rodewald family and became Velma’s Supper Club. It was an extremely popular dining and nightspot in Durango for many years. It was sold in 1977 and became the Sundowner. Sold for the last time in 1993, it was demolished and the Hampton Inn was built on the site. The former La Plata Community Hospital can be seen to the right in the background. – Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, edhorvat@animasmuseum.org. (Courtesy of La Plata County Historical Society)