Visit Durango needs your input. Help create local events, make impactful positive change within the community and environment, facilitate educational opportunities and so much more.
There are eight committees to choose from and they each offer something unique and enriching. Find each committee’s details below and follow this link to register: https://tinyurl.com/p7b34bmv.
- Marketing committee: Provides high-level strategic direction for the organization’s organic marketing, paid advertising and earned media campaigns. The group also offers guidance on the overall marketing strategy of Visit Durango’s programmatic event campaigns. Programmatic events include: Durango Restaurant Week, Durango Arts Week, Spoketober and Holiday Station. Meets 3 to 4:30 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of the month, January to December.
- Destination Management committee. Works to support a balance between quality of life for residents and quality of experience for visitors, while enhancing our environment and communities. Serves to share recommendations, feedback and concerns with Visit Durango’s Destination Management Department regarding environmental and social issues facing locals. The committee will help discuss and implement programs to address these issues. Meets 3:30 to 5 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month, January to December.
- Event Grants committee. Oversees the Lodgers Tax Local Event Marketing Grant program. The marketing grants are awarded to organizations holding events in the city of Durango to use for marketing purposes. The committee reviews all grant applications and through a series of criteria decide what events will be awarded grants. Meets 9:30 to 11 a.m. the first Thursday of month, January to December.
- Inclusive Tourism Working Group. Operates with a goal to promote systemic change within La Plata County and to help educate and train local businesses on diverse, equitable and inclusive tourism programs. Offers guidance on educational and training programs as well as promoting La Plata County as an inclusive destination for the community and visitors related to accessibility, diversity, culture and LGBTQ initiatives. Meets 10 to 11 a.m. the second Tuesday of the month, January to October.
- Restaurant Week Working Group. Support La Plata County tastemakers and create a week full of exciting and delicious offerings. Durango Restaurant Week serves to be a celebration of local chefs, producers, restaurateurs and culinary artists. Participating outlets include but are not limited to restaurants, bars, food trucks and culinary schools. Meets 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. the second Wednesday of the month, January to April.
- Arts Week Working Group. Support the community’s vibrant art scene by creating a celebratory week for artists of all types. Orchestrates the annual Durango Arts Week, showcasing local talent, fostering community engagement and attracting art enthusiasts around the Four Corners. Meets 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month, May to September.
- Spoketober Working Group. Showcase all things biking by helping create the next Spoketober, Durango's annual monthlong celebration of cycling culture. Help plan, organize, promote and execute all Spoketober events, which are geared toward all levels of cycling with an emphasis on inclusion. Meets 5 to 6 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month, July to October.
- Holiday Station Working Group. Event planners and community enthusiasts create memorable holiday celebrations in La Plata County. The group will curate festive experiences, displays and events, uniting the community and sharing the season’s spirit. Meets 9 to 10 a.m. the first Wednesday of the month, September to December.
Rachel Welsh is Visit Durango’s PR and communications manager.