A cold front moved in earlier than expected to the Front Range. It dropped temperatures and snow and resulted in Friday’s state track and field championships to be postponed because of weather conditions and in the interest of the athletes' safety.
The Colorado High School Activities Association is formulating a plan to complete the remaining championship events, and CHSAA officials will continue to monitor the weather and search for the best possible solution. Based on the weather forecast, CHSAA is exploring options for resuming the state championships competition midday Saturday, once the weather subsides and Jefferson County Stadium officials can get the surfaces cleared. The plan would then be to finish the meet Sunday. In this scenario, the original Friday schedule would move to Saturday, and the Saturday schedule would move to Sunday.
The organization said it’s prepared to go into Saturday evening if necessary.
If the competition surfaces remain unplayable Saturday, however, the meet will be pushed to Sunday and Monday.
CHSAA said any decision regarding the status of the meet on Saturday will be communicated as soon as possible.
Decisions on baseball’s regional championships, meanwhile, will be made locally. “With 32 different regional sites around the state, a one-size-fits-all approach regarding weather, graduations, officials’ availability, etc., isn’t practical,” CHSAA assistant commissioner Adam Bright said. “Regional hosts have been communicated with and will make decisions at the local level. That early communication has led to regionals being rescheduled for today, Saturday, Sunday and Monday already. Our member schools collectively have done a tremendous job working with each other on scheduling for this weekend.”
Updates are available at CHSAANow.com.